When one is stressed and anxious, as many are these days, it can affect the way we act to those around us. But here is the good news: being nice to others is one way of releasing stress and lowering anxiety in ourselves! This means that being kind is a real WIN-WIN, so let’s look at some easy ways to raise the wellbeing of your own precious self while doing that for the world around you.
You have heard the phrase Random Acts of Kindness? Well, how about we recreate the acronym RAK into Regular Acts of Kindness? That way we ALL get ALL the benefits, all the time. Remember, humans are happier when we are kinder, so don’t wait to be happy before you be kind!
Here are some important lists, I know that once you read them, you’ll be on your way.
“Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference.”
~ Helen James
10 Health Benefits of Being Kind
1. Improve low mood.
2. Decrease blood pressure.
3. Lower the stress hormone cortisol.
4. Boosts your serotonin.
5. Raise the dopamine levels
6. And oxytocin, our brain's feel-good hormone! This helps to reduce inflammation (which is linked to numerous diseases.)
7. Causes the pleasure/reward centers in your brain to light up.
8. And reduce blood pressure, protecting the heart!
9. Additionally, acts of kindness ease your own, and someone else’s, social anxiety.
10. Strengthen social connections, which is for the betterment of your own survival.